Common people mostly have fickle minds; they’re always guided by what they would like to believe, often with their advantage. When they’re worried, frightened and clueless about the long run they’re most susceptible to doubt and conspiracy theories. Going back six months people all around the globe are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, less because of the deadly effects of the virus compared to the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s introduced its wake. They desperately have to get back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to just accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a scam, it’s simply a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is created and the social media as always helps it spread-at times even more quickly compared to the killer virus. Possibly the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the important points that over 80 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only older people with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that an average of the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for a few countries. However, facts also show that the dead includes teenagers too and everyone can be infected from this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’sections of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US that we will not make an outline here just to prevent vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here that this writer got a social media forward giving an url to a write-up by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is a’political hoax ‘. Even as we mentioned earlier lots of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other when compared to a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that merely a’annual influenza’has been called a pandemic and he wanted action contrary to the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a sequence of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory stops working at the fundamental premise itself: if that is so then this phenomenon must certanly be occurring every year, and why then this season should be so different! Governments need not have gone on a crisis drive to create more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds simply to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of numerous affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some that we narrate below as arguments to break such kinds of fake and motivated views:
1. Let’s take the exemplory case of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring lots of conspiracy theories about China itself we only ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) when it comes to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful keeping in mind the infected numbers below 100,000 the country is still fearing an additional outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to prevent its spread. Its aggression against India can be explained as part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed over fifty percent a million to date and is still on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a state of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is to take into account a death rate of over 14% (seen in several countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization continue telling’lies’that the new Coronavirus is very dangerous that could probably stay for significantly more than couple of years and the worst is yet ahead despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to have accepted in the beginning that this pandemic is the biggest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the entire world continue taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave just how for a recession possibly a whole lot worse compared to the Great Depression? In particular, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. Why is such a mad rush all around the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At least such an intensive medical research cannot mask an invisible agenda whatever that will be.
Within the last few days new cases in India have been rising at nearly 25000 each day with the only solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being fully a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. At this crucial juncture we ought to not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to create a kill when it comes to profit. Like, if your link for a write-up with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets consider the sort of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.